RISE to Vote
RISE to Vote is a nonpartisan initiative that partners with sports teams, conferences, community groups, and leagues to improve civic engagement in our nation. RISE to Vote educates professional and collegiate athletes on how to vote and why it matters, empowers them by amplifying their platform, and facilitates engagement with their fans. By educating athletes on civic participation and engaging them in getting their fans to do the same, RISE to Vote is activating a new and untapped national platform to engage citizens and encourage civic participation.
RISE to Vote launched in June 2017 with the NFL’s Miami Dolphins and has spread across the country. RISE to Vote was part of Super Bowl LII and the Big Ten Conference 2018 Men’s Basketball Tournament.
Join your favorite athletes in becoming an active citizen.
RISE to Vote participants
- Big Ten Conference 2018 Men’s Basketball Tournament
- Collegiate athletic departments – Florida International University; Florida State University; Marist College; Miami Dade College; Oregon State University; Rutgers University; University of Arizona; University of California, Berkeley; University of California, Los Angeles; University of Colorado; University of Iowa; University of Michigan; University of Notre Dame; University of Southern California; University of Texas at Austin; and Winthrop University
- Community events hosted by Lorenzo Alexander of the Buffalo Bills, DeMarcus Cousins and Kevin Durant of the Golden State Warriors, and Basketball Hall of Famer Steve Nash
- MEAC/SWAC Challenge
- MLB – Arizona Diamondbacks, Chicago Cubs, Cleveland Indians, Kansas City Royals, Minnesota Twins and Pittsburgh Pirates
- Minor League Baseball – Lansing Lugnuts and Rochester Red Wings
- NBA – Atlanta Hawks, Brooklyn Nets, Oklahoma City Thunder, Orlando Magic, San Antonio Spurs and Milwaukee Bucks
- NFL – Atlanta Falcons, Buffalo Bills, Los Angeles Rams, Miami Dolphins and New York Giants
- National Premier Soccer League – Detroit City FC
- Super Bowl LII & Super Bowl LIII
Bring RISE to Vote to your team, campus
RISE to Vote takes less than 30 minutes to execute and can occur during the pre-season or regular season for professional teams or at any point during the school year for collegiate athletic departments. The program includes a guest speaker, who adds inspiring historical context and discusses the importance of being informed and engaged citizens. RISE will bring all necessary components to a venue selected by the team or athletic department and ensure any special circumstances (i.e. an athlete residing and playing or attending school in different states) are handled in accordance with the law. RISE will partner with state and local election officials and nonpartisan organizations like the League of Women Voters and the Drum Major Institute with expertise in voter education to amplify the effort and ensure effectiveness.
This movement began with professional athletes, but thanks to a grant from Democracy Fund Voice has expanded to college campuses and through fan-focused events. Information about voting can be distributed at major professional and collegiate sporting events and other campus and community events.